This forum/the plan

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Calix
MOTODEAMON

This forum/the plan

Post by Calix »

This is mostly addressed to non I-C people because you lot already know the deal;

Any and all input is appreciated from anyone that reads here. If people have comments on PvP mechanics, crafting, PvM - or anything, please post. Nothing beyond the very basics is really set in stone. We're not looking to recreate a certain era exactly, like UOSA, or a certain era plus enhancements, like L25.

There isn't going to be any single person 'running' this or 'in charge' - we've seen how that ends on other free shards. Everyone that wants to get involved is welcome, in any capacity and no matter your background in UO or with the I-C guild. Whether it be in memory, testing, theory, coding - or an offer to work as a 'seer' or staff member and run events on a live shard. Any contribution will be valued.

It should be remembered that no one will be offered a position of responsibility on any future live shard unless you earn my 100% trust, however much of a contribution you make. I will oversee the 'project' as it develops, but I'd like to make any decisions on consensus rather than just on what I personally want. The goal is a successful shard(and fun developing it) not a personal glory or power crusade.

Anything that was in AOS is a possibility, but basic guiding principle will be:

Combining the best parts of AOS - champ spawns, item properties, 'resist' system, PvP mechanics - with the best of 'old' UO as well. The graphics, the lack of neon, the community, the player interaction.

This would obviously involve:

Publish 25/Legacy 25 PvP mechanics, with slight alterations.
One facet only - Felucca old lands and Felucca lost lands.
Limited 'neon' hues and other ugly items.
'Un-UO' things removed. Beetles, etc.
Creating immersion with an evolving shard storyline linked to Ultima Lore.
Encouraging and supporting RP and other player communities.
Making room for other playstyles and character types beyond the hardcore power-gamers and PvPers.

Beyond that, nothing is out of the question. New systems that have never been on OSI would be considered(as well as systems added SE+ if they are in keeping with UO and not elf/samurai shit), and any ideas of how to improve the game/shard within the loose boundaries of the above are what we're looking for.

In the post below I will begin to list the features we have in and others we are looking to move towards, in as much detail as possible.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Re: This forum/the plan

Post by Calix »

DIVIDE INTO: BASICS, PVP, CRAFTING, PVM HOUSING OTHERS?

Brief description of features, follow links for full details of each.

The Shard
Test shard - based in the UK.
Proposed 'live' shard - based east coast USA, to give PvP playable pings to all North Americans and Europeans.
Strict no cheating policy - No AFK resource gathering, speed-hacking, duping or other exploiting will result in permanent ban, 1 strike.

The Basics:
Publish 25(AOS) based shard. (OSI - Summer 2004)
Felucca & Lost Lands only.
2 accounts per player
1 character per account

Startup:
Starting characters have 70 in 3 chosen skills and 70 each stat.
Chracters start with 2000 gold and additional items.
Anti-Macro code removed for most skills.
Enhanced skill gain in dungeons.

PvP:
Using the basic P25 system ((http://web.archive.org/web/200510232227 ... n_502.html), )
SDI 15
LMC 40
EP 40
HPI 25
HCI 45
DCI 45
Stat cap of 250
Skill cap of 720
Swing Speed Cap of 1 swing per 1.25 seconds
Necromancy spells unaffected by faster casting
FC2 for magery(and chivalry if character magery = >70)
FCR 6
FC4 for chivalry*unless magery = >70)
FC0 if using Protection spell
GM Inscription gives 10% SDI bonus
Alchemy gives 10% EP bonus per 33 points in the skill
Dexterity requirement for fully functioning parry reduced from 80 to 50
Cast time for Wither increased from 1.25 to 1.75
Paralyse Field EFFECT time reduced by 2/3rds
Poison Field EFFECT time reduced by 1/4
Spell-Channeling and Mage Weapon removed from wands
Purple/explosion potions min/max dmg lowered (a lot)
Armour Ignore capped at 40 damage
Str/Dex/Int capped at 150
LMC reduction for special moves tied to certain 'dexxer' skills
Insurance costs for murderer characters set to 4x.
Improved factions system planned as first 'expansion'
Special move 'toggle' deactivated upon spell casting.

PvM, Items, Treasure:
Certain 'Doom' monsters now inhabit some Felucca dungeons and offer special loot drops.
Champion Spawn system modified to offer slightly-reduced chance of 120 scrolls.
Improved treasure map and dungeon chest systems.
'Loot boost' on some traditional Felucca monsters.
Some changed spawn locations.
Certain monsters/spawns removed. Beetles, for example.
'Doom Stealables' now spawn in Felucca.
Certain artifacts modified.
Improved veteran reward system.

Crafting.
Entirely new crafting system.
BODS removed completely.
Runic kits now obtained through resource harvesting only.
All powders removed. Cloth rewards replaced with new hues(earth tones, no neon).
Arms Lore skill now affects repair success rate.
Item durability capped at 100.
Repair deeds removed.
Town forges, tinkers and bow-crafting shops are now purchasable by Grandmaster craftsmen who may place vendors and operate from within.

World:
Slight landmass improvement modifications.
Improved spawning rares system.
Additional 'secret' locations and areas to discover.

Housing:
'Town houses' system implemented.
No private housing allowed.
Custom housing implemented.
House decay set to 14 days.

INFO BELOW TO BE REMOVED/MOVED.

No powder of fortification/translocation or bags of sending*

No repair deeds*

Durability on items limited to 100*

Chance to lose durability on repair greatly affected by repairing crafter relevant skill

'Vanity' items added as gold sinks on town vendors(details still to be discussed)

Superfast Oz
Cardinal Chunder

Post by Superfast Oz »

"Mage: 70 Str/Dex/Int. 75 Magery, Eval, Resist, Meditation"

Double check the code on these. I made a mage and it had anatomy instead of eval I think.

Also since mages/necro etc get regs, maybe give paladins a few hundred tithing pointz.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Yeah fair point, not sure it's possible but will look into it.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

List of stuff still to be looked at as far as mechanics go, all things I could do with help on:

Treasure Maps & Dungeon Treasure chests have improved loot and a chance of dropping rares that are unobtainable elsewhere. Invisibility and Teleport jewelry. - Dungeon Chests are done - ideas for Tmap stuff?

Stealable Doom Artifacts added to Felucca Dungeons

'Vanity' items added as gold sinks on town vendors(details still to be discussed)

Certain useless(non PvP) skills improved

Mount Stamina

Increased skill-gain in Dungeons

KoKane

Post by KoKane »

Already accepting that you cant have the job done over night or in a month or two is a good sign.
One of the things I never finally did was put my time and effort into creating/running a shard. I think you're spot on with designating all the time between now and the official servers closing, as development time. Its a great idea infact. There will be an influx of players going to freeservers. There might even be new servers by those players or retired devs or something crazy.. It will be the best thing thats ever happened to freeshards so if you're going to release one around that time, whenever it is.. its gotta be done right and ready. It can really work too.

Thanks to the wonderful Irish economy at the moment, I'm back in college. I'm going into my second year in Software Development. I dont know how work intensive the year will be but I think I'd be up for helping out with coding in some form or another, if you need it. It would be good for me because of my course. It would be perfect actually. I mean I'm sure I'll have some shit of my own going on but theres bound to be an aspect of the year that will require some type of shit I've done myself.

Anyway, right now I'll admit that I'm way to distracted by Darkfall politics, League of Legends and my girlfriend finally got me to join facebook. FUCK.
Also the pressures of having a life, house, babies, car etc etc ... I'm starting to have nightmares where I dont own a computer and I smash some kids xbox.... :(
And I've put 10 quid into an online poker account and I'm turning it into millions.

So yeah, best of luck with this. Accept it cant happen overnight etc etc and come September, I might be wanting/able to help you out in some form.. if you'd have me obviously, lol.
pro at everything except being pro

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Yeah, nice one. Any help with coding would be great, and just some input here on forum is useful. We all work or study full time so nothing is getting done all that quick even if we wanted it to~

Ingo
Author of "Stripper Assassin"

Post by Ingo »

What's your lol name? :)
No to Scottish existence.

KoKane

Post by KoKane »

EmperorZooL
pro at everything except being pro

Winder
VIKING BOAT MUSEUM

Post by Winder »

ill get in on this as soon as i got the time and stuff.

sort of busy these days between two jobs and whatnot. but within a month or two i should be alot more active on teh internet
[img]http://www.uded.net/uo/Windar/catsig2.gif[/img]

Poom_of_PALADIN

Post by Poom_of_PALADIN »

Good luck with this Calix

if you make anything that even resembles Legacy 25 in a small way ill be a happy man !

Will try to contribute where I can but my memory of UO is not great , not that I don't think about it like an old girlfriend all the time

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Hello mate. Nice one. We've not actually done much work on the shard in the last month or so, not that we're in a rush. I'll add you to the testing forum anyway.

Poom_of_PALADIN

Post by Poom_of_PALADIN »

Calix wrote:Hello mate. Nice one. We've not actually done much work on the shard in the last month or so, not that we're in a rush. I'll add you to the testing forum anyway.
Cheers