Razor macros in PvP

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Razor macros in PvP

Post by Calix »

Thoughts? UOSA PvP is pretty shit IMO, at least in part because everyone has macros for things like purple pots, etc.

Seems as you can't prevent people using razor - is the best solution to just remove or weaken purple pots and wands etc? I don't really like them anyway..

Belgarion
FISSURE OF WOE

Re: Razor macros in PvP

Post by Belgarion »

Obviously keep in mind that im not entirely up to speed on things, here is what I think.

Scripts or macros that generally have a large impact on the player field (explo pit macros, box scripts, itemtrapping or what have you) need to be dealt with.

I believe there are a number of ways to do this.

1: Break them. ie make some change to an item involved in a script that makes the script bad, or unrealible. Explo pots that go off on a random timer, boxes doing random (and possibly large) amounts of damage. Something like that.

2: Remove items involved. This might not be the best option since it in some ways takes away from the game something that was always enjoyable (atleast to me) which is searching for, and using that little extra edge.

3: Make all relevant macros and scripts readily avaliable to everyone in such a fashion that they can just go to some forum thread or whatever, grab the macro, and be doing what the other dude did.
I-Cers about my joining I-C:
Clx: "risk", "what? dont", "I`ll object"
Future: "fucked up"
Villa: "dirty and unclean"
senj: "guildhopper"

Fatalist
POO ELEMENTAL

Post by Fatalist »

Belg's idea of random timers on explo pots is perfect. The only reason the scripts were used was because they were so perfectly predictable. if you make it say, 3-5 seconds or something then you'd remove the reliability of the reliance on instakill combos (relying on hally-hit and explo timer would be too much) at least that's relevant for UOSA. But yes if you change the timer to be random, at least people will stop chasing with them so much.

Another option would be to add a similar timer to heal pots, one every 10 seconds one xplo or something.

You can't remove them becuase they're still fun in team fights, and for many non-mages the only way of revealing a hidden character.

Wands can be ditched, they didn't offer anything particularly 'fun' or creative, just made someone impossible to kill. Heal wands I have an issue with, less so with the damage ones, but they shouldn't be spell channelling really.

You're right in accepting that you'll never eliminate script pvp, there are just too many tools that are impossible to police. best thing you can hope to do is offer players enough options to not feel they need to rely on it to compete, and to reduce reliability of things that are commonly scripted so that they're still useful but tougher to predict, in some way.
Down with Scotland

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Can't really argue with Belg/Fatal, unfortunately it's probably impossible to eliminate but if there is more randomness, it will at least make it more dangerous to script pvp, I would imagine it would probably be a deeply unpopular move though :\
No to U

zole
ladyboycrush.com

Post by zole »

Belgs idea is good. But the timer thing is still a pain. If you make it random ,so it might go from 3-5 seconds, you would still want to put a visible timer, which with easyuo, I'm sure you could script around. If it's just razor then maybe not.

It might be an unpopular move, but I think the majority of people will be glad. Purple pots were obviously not designed to be used in this way, and while it is very clever, it's very high on the LAME factor. I realize the irony of that coming from me, but really, any fucking moron can use that macro and kill people. I would prefer to try and remove it instead of making it readily available to everyone, because it just means pvp gets reduced to one big hit and then BOOM SHAKALAKA
[img]http://www.photobasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/deeaaaaaaad.jpg[/img]

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

For now I've just scaled down the min/max dmg on explo pots. Will see how that goes in testing.

Joe

Post by Joe »

what is the box problem then? is that when you para and the script boxes the target all around so they can't move?

couple of options to stop that one, make boxes passable or make them heavy are the first to come to mind maybe

Fatalist
POO ELEMENTAL

Post by Fatalist »

Fucking hell KLOR, learn to introduce your topic. I think it's more people dropping items behind them as they run through chokepoints etc. The particular type of stools were the main one because you'd rubberband.
Down with Scotland

Joe

Post by Joe »

u

and my points still stand though to try and reduce the use of those types of macros

Fatalist
POO ELEMENTAL

Post by Fatalist »

Joe wrote:try and reduce the use of those types of macros
GENIUS JOE AND THE REVOLUTIONARY THOUGHT PARADE
Down with Scotland

Joe

Post by Joe »

fix your caps key please nobber

and yes i thought the ideas were valid, thanks for your constructive input

Fatalist
POO ELEMENTAL

Post by Fatalist »

I've added more in this thread than you, JERK.

Also, I've included more punctuation in this post than you have in your entire forum career!

Kind regards,

The Fatalist
Down with Scotland

Joe

Post by Joe »

good to see you almost managed to fix that caps key.

Fatalist
POO ELEMENTAL

Post by Fatalist »

Incredible retort
Down with Scotland

Joe

Post by Joe »

thanks.