The achievement/progression cycle

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Calix
MOTODEAMON

The achievement/progression cycle

Post by Calix »

ie what keeps most people hooked. I was thinking about factions really, and whether it's something that would be at all necessary on any shard for the first few months.

What we've already got in:

PvM mobs in Fel dropping : Powerscrolls(champ spawns), barbed kits, reward dye tubs, reward robes, hair dyes, CBDs. Which obviously all provoke player conflict, without the need for factions and enable people to be on a constant suit and char improvement cycle, which retains interest.
Daily spawning rares
Improved tmaps & dungeon chests for thunters
Hopefully a good event and storyline system.
Not forgetting things like housing etc which keep people interested.

IMO something like factions(an improved version) wouldn't be needed until a good few players all had 6x120 chars, finished suits, a ton of artifacts, etc. Any thoughts? What else retains player interest beyond the above?

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Re: The achievement/progression cycle

Post by Mercury »

id prefer that pscrolls stayed a champ spawn thing personally

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

They are..

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

ah ok, misread, i thought it was a general "pvm mobs". me worst.

KoKane

Post by KoKane »

This is a big deal in a PvP version of UO, like what L25 was or tried to be. You trim away the fat and this stuff is lost in the process.

I think it boils down to tapping into players natural lust for wealth or power.
The pixel crack addict whore in all of us.
pro at everything except being pro

Noxin
BENEFIT CHEAT

Post by Noxin »

I think what's more important than factions itself is what made factions appealing.
The biggest two benefits in my opinion are instant friendlies to PvP with for those who don't have any and dominance/control.

I think if you focus on those 2 objectives it's far easier to focus on what you need to provide rather than simply adding factions.
The instant friendlies part should be offered somehow from day 1 in order to retain loners who come to the game without a guild/friends and should be as easy to find as possible.
YOUR GAMES ARE THE GAYIST THING EVER ACRCADEN CRUSADE WAS EPIC FAIL AND SO WAS ANY THING U MADE WITH A P THE REST WAS JUST FLAT OUT GAY U DONT DESERVE LIFE NO U DONT DESERVE ANYTHING U ARE JUST A GAY MORON WHO NEEDS TO GET A LIFE

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Noxin wrote: The instant friendlies part should be offered somehow from day 1 in order to retain loners who come to the game without a guild/friends and should be as easy to find as possible.
It makes sense. From fucking about on IPY2 and UOSA recently, I've realised UO really isn't a solo-player friendly game if you're new or years out of the loop especially. We probably lose sight of that because the game is almost second nature to us.