UO is a one off

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Calix
MOTODEAMON

UO is a one off

Post by Calix »

I've been on some missions at work the last couple nights - looking up old PvP guilds that I remember from various shards to see if they're still talking about UO. If I can find a forum, the main thing they still talk about is UO. It's amazing. Invariably they've done the same as us, had at least one large scale attempt at recapturing the magic on a freeshard which has fizzled out due to lack of time/motivation, or the shard not living up to it's promises.

The whole point in the thread was I found a brilliant quote on one of the boards. Something along the lines of: "UO was a massive part of my life. I've done a lot of stuff since, bought a house, had a daughter, got married - but I don't remember having as much fun doing any of these things as I did when playing UO. I cared more about achieving things in UO than I have about anything else since too. I still miss those few years"

...but now I can't find the quote. Beste. Pretty sure there's not another game in history(or in the future) where so many people will feel like that though.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Re: UO is a one off

Post by Calix »

Like this one as well:

A bunch of us are playing IPY2, and it's a lot of fun, but it still nowhere near as fun as it was back in the day. To this day, some of my most memorable times in my life were sitting in front of a computer playing a game with a bunch of people I didnt even know IRL.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

...and another. This isn't me, honestly:

My god, the memories... I wish I had more screenshots.

I feel like a World War 2 veteran finding old buddies.

Night
fIlThY cUnT

Post by Night »

Very true.

Worth keeping in mind in the design, too far away from original intent and it won't be like UO any more.