Exploration, etc.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Exploration, etc.

Post by Calix »

Part of the reason I was toying with an entirely new map for a while was to attempt to recapture the 'newness' feeling that we all loved when we started UO. Exploring a new world, etc.

Anyway, obviously discarded that idea, but the principal still stands. Attempt to recapture something of that feeling of wonder(perhaps a strong word considering it's still UO, but you know what I mean) when you find a new area, or something you hadn't see before.

To this end, I've put in:

9 'new' locations. Teleporters to previously unreachable parts of the map, or strange locations. I'll probably do some more at some point.

'Lockpicking doors' Simple script someone on RunUO.com made - but enables you to add in or replace doors with pickable ones. I've put a few in, making a couple of minor areas only accessable to pickers, and added a few rewards/rares in those areas.

New traps/floor tiles. Another RunUO.com script, a few new types of floor traps.

There's also a few 'artifact chest' locations. A locked chest, requiring high picking and remove trap, that has a 1/4 chance of containing a 'doom' artifact. They only respawn every 24-36 hours.

120-ish new and old spawning rares, all custom locations. Placed by hand (lol @ me)

Obviously we'd like to do a few more 'unique' things - ideas?

Belgarion
FISSURE OF WOE

Re: Exploration, etc.

Post by Belgarion »

Ok, first of all, i want to play the role of "that guy".

The "feeling of wonder" you describe, and that we all love.... it cannot be "recreated". It was there for us in UO, it was there for others in WoW, and it was there for others again in X. It is now, not there. It cannot be created, it cannot be re-lived.

BUT! The things you describe are very good initiatives. I specifically like the "locked doors" idea. I feel that this is something that has a lot of potential.
Why just a locked door that leads to a room with a chest in it? Why not a locked door that leads to a part of a dungeon with neat spawn (ie. desirable pvm targets that spawn faster than they would elsewhere in the world or something), verite/valorite rich ore veins, plentiful regspawns or what have you. It would become a place that people want to go to. It would also be a place where people would want to PEEKAY. Obviously there needs to be some balance in it, but like i say, it has great potential.
I-Cers about my joining I-C:
Clx: "risk", "what? dont", "I`ll object"
Future: "fucked up"
Villa: "dirty and unclean"
senj: "guildhopper"

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Re: Exploration, etc.

Post by Calix »

Mighty Belgarion, I very much like your thinking and will experiment with this idea tomorrow!