Cartography & Treasure Maps, Lockpicking & Dungeon Chests

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Cartography & Treasure Maps, Lockpicking & Dungeon Chests

Post by Calix »

We've just been talking about making these the slowest-to-gain skills, alongside Taming and Resist - why? on an AOS shard their rewards don't really match those available to crafters and PvMers, do they?

Crafters = make the best items in game plying their trade
PvMers = get the best items in the game plying their trade

We've put in a few things for Lockpickers - 'Artifact Chests' - Spawn in a few very remote locations(that won't be revealed until players find them) - respawn every 24-36 hours, and have a 1 in 3 chance of containing a rarity 11 artifact and possibly some other items too. Only openable by people with the required lockpicking. Also boosted the amount of gold and items in normal dungeon treasure chests, as well as added a few lockpickable doors, with areas behind that are obviously only reachable by lockpickers.

What about Carto though? Why bother with it in AOS, especially if we're making it one of the hardest skills to gain..
How about making Paragons a t-map only thing? And obviously giving them some special drops..

zole
ladyboycrush.com

Re: Cartography & Treasure Maps, Lockpicking & Dungeon Chest

Post by zole »

Treasure hunters are pvm'rs. They just pvm in different places to the rest. Actually, in general t hunters are probably the most "skilled" treasure hunters, used to dealing with heavy spawn. Difference is that you can easily get pk'd hunting blood eles in shame or something like that, but it's pretty hard to find a t hunter who is doing maps in the middle of nowhere.

Chests also have a good chance to drop stuff, I thought? Especially since we should be able to control the drops. For example: level 5 chests can drop items with 5 properties and those properties can be maximum. I know a lot of awesome shit came from t maps in aos, especially jewels and weps, items where you don't really care about all the stats, just as long as some of them match what you want.

Making paragons t map only sounds like a good incentive. Instead of having rare drops giving them super high loot potential would be awesome.

I used to really enjoy t hunting, especially having to Hire a treasure hunter (almost always with a gay name like Lara Croft or Indiana Jones). I had several on ICQ i'd contact when I found t maps, and it was fun. One of those things which forced interaction.

Also: Are we making these carto that hard? As I remember it, it was pretty easy to gm, you just do maps until 99.5 and then decode treasure maps for the last part. Ditto for LP and Taming. We aren't really touching them, we are just leaving them as they were intended to be, tough to gm. LP will still be easy to get to dungeon level, and then you gain through use, which is as intended. Taming is also a non issue, there's still gonna be taming jewelry etc. Some people might complain, but then NP, just dont use those skills. If there's only one guy on the shard who bothers making a treasure hunter, a lot of people are gonna make friends with that one guy.
[img]http://www.photobasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/deeaaaaaaad.jpg[/img]

zole
ladyboycrush.com

Post by zole »

Also, it seems like t hunting spots now spawn randomly. I personally find that awesome, and worth including. If we could do the same for dungeon chests (maybe still make them spawn in the specific area (high end chest nearish the high end spawn), but a bit more spread out), that'd be great.
[img]http://www.photobasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/deeaaaaaaad.jpg[/img]

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

How many good posts can one man make in a morning? Lots of fakt speaking.

So yeah, just boost treasure hunt chests to be the best place for 'normal' (not artifact/special) loot. Link in the paragon system to give either special drops, or even better loot. That works.

And yeah we're not going to make these skills harder, just OSI level - most other skills getting either a lot or a bit easier. It's partly a prestige thing keeping them difficult, not their 'power' (except for taming) - GM Carto, LP, Taming and Resist should be an achievement - other skills are just a chore.