Thoughts on quivers?

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Laz

Thoughts on quivers?

Post by Laz »

Not sure if it has been discussed already, if so I am sorry.

http://www.uoguide.com/Quiver

You can obviously remove the properties from them if you don't like them. And obviously completely leave out the gay crafted/artifact versions and just use a basic crafted one.

Quivers take up the cloak spot so the custom 3% res clothes will be in high demand from archers.
As it works on OSI you get the properties of the one you wear regardless of which quiver your arrow/bolt actually comes from, but if you strip them of the properties it makes no difference i guess.

If it is at all possible I personally think it would be nice to have a limit of max. 2 quivers being carried, one for arrows one for bolts or however you wanna split it.
Otherwise an archer can carry 4 million arrows or something. Although i guess if they do they carry many quivers they are insuring alot of quivers, so maybe just let them pay for it that way.
A quiver can hold i think 500 arrows and does so at reduced weight.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Re: Thoughts on quivers?

Post by Calix »

I'm not against them as long as like you say, they have no additional properties. Mostly just because I hated seeing all char types use them when I played in 2007 time. Seems logical to have them, in a way, as long as it's just for actual archers.

zole
ladyboycrush.com

Post by zole »

I think:

- Allow quivers.
- Remove the bullshit properties.
- MAYBE add a vet cloak equivalent quiver (if we do +3 phys cloak then +3 phys on quiver) which is equipable by people with over 100 archery. Just so people can be like "HI IM LEGOLAS I HAVE A QUIVER ON MY BACK" if they want to.

Things to think about:

- Weight reduction. I think quivers allowed archers not only to carry a lot of arrows/bolts, but to make them lighter, so they could carry an incredible amount of arrows with them. Do we want to include that? Maybe having no weight reduction will stop them from carrying loads of quivers with arrows. Or as laz said, just limit to two quivers, but i dunno how easy that is to do.
[img]http://www.photobasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/deeaaaaaaad.jpg[/img]

Laz

Post by Laz »

I don't think anyone would mind ditching the weight reduction, the biggest advantage imo is that you can insure the quiver and the arrows/bolts in it.
If you want to make a +3 phys one then I suppose that is no harm, but shouldn't really be needed with Calix's custom phys clothes I beleive.

Edit: This is the "normal" quiver http://www.uoguide.com/Elven_Quiver. Changing name and removing DI/Weight reduction is proabably pretty easy if you decide to do so.

Superfast Oz
Cardinal Chunder

Post by Superfast Oz »

Please no. This is supposed to be aos.

zole
ladyboycrush.com

Post by zole »

True, but we are changing it a lot anyway.

I guess the question to ask is "is the inclusion of quivers against the kind of shard we are going for?".

Breaking it down, with no weight reduction, all the inclusion does is make things easier for archers, as they can keep ammo after death.

Upon ressing, they won't have any bandages or pots, but will be able to put out damage. Which puts them on the same playing field as other dexxers.

Pre aos, since people lost their stuff when they died anyway, archers having to restock arrows/bolts was no big deal. But post aos, other dexxers can be semi functional (can rely on heals/chiv to get by, or ask someone for bands). For archers, if no-one has arrows (And no-one ever does), they have to go back to town while other people fight.

Which is a similar boat to mages, I suppose. But then mages aren't purely offensive like archers are.

I reckon include them. I guess coding it so that arrows have to be in main pack to be usable, and quiver just works as an insurable pouch for arrows would be meeting half way. That way archers lose some of their resources when they die.

Do you have any specific reason for not wanting quivers other than it not being era accurate?
[img]http://www.photobasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/deeaaaaaaad.jpg[/img]

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

agree with zole
No to U

Superfast Oz
Cardinal Chunder

Post by Superfast Oz »

I think there's a real danger of the shard becoming a sort of mashup of random ideas thought up on forums only. I also think era accuracy gives you a credibility in promoting your shard. Eg secondages success. One of the best things about uo is that it wasn't perfect. Era accuracy gives offf an image of professionalism over making a shard that appears to be the whim of the owner.

On top of that, basic mechanics of fundamentals aren't even in place yet, like crafting. Those need to be sorted out first before you can even flesh out an idea like this realistically.

zole
ladyboycrush.com

Post by zole »

I don't see why that would stop putting this on a list of stuff to look at in the future.

I see what you're saying about era related stuff and it's a very good point, but this shard isn't going to be or aiming to be anything like era accurate. Have we thought about that? This shard is basically a combination of what we think is "best".

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

I know what Oz is saying, but believe me I'm very much keeping in mind why IPY2 has failed(total random mashup of ideas).

There's no harm in discussing stuff like this, and even implementing it, then making a decision once we've seen it in game.

My thoughts = look pretty gay, remind me of SE/ML, but actually make sense.

zole
ladyboycrush.com

Post by zole »

A lot of this stuff won't make any sense until we see it in action. I'm looking forward to having a shard we can test on once clx moves.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Internetz gets turned on on the 23rd.

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

While I can see what oz is saying, a lot of shards who stick rigidly to era specific are shit in my opinion. Great for the first 5 minutes then your player base soon get bored. After being so used to playing AOS and having all the new templates etc, UO:R seems shit in comparison.

Look at how active Legacy was and it was only loosely based on P25. Unfortunately the gearing up was a major issue because it was focused to hardcore on Shame.
No to U

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Yeah it's striking the right balance. It needs to feel right by being close to the era imitated, there's no doubt.

Obviously another option is to allow non-wearable quivers. So Archers could still carry them to organise their packs, with the weight reduction for arrows/bolts, but not have them visible on char, losing the SE/ML look of things.

zole
ladyboycrush.com

Post by zole »

Yeah, having them wearable was just an after thought, i think people won't really care if it's visible or not.