BOD reward list, what we want and what we don't...

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Calix
MOTODEAMON

BOD reward list, what we want and what we don't...

Post by Calix »

To intergrate into any crafting system we eventually work out.

Smith:

Sturdy pickaxe/shovel - just have more durability, I assume?
+ mining gloves
Gargoyle pickage - wtf is this?
Prospectors tool - wtf is this?
Powder of fort - not having
Runic hammers
Smith power scrolls - we have these in on a monster drop, for now. Probably should be made into an actual crafter reward instead.

Tailor:
Unique cloth - not having
Unique sandles - don't mind having these in..
Stretch hide, tapestry, polar bear rug, etc - happy for these to all be in.
CBD's - in as a monster drop, could go as a tailor reward as well though
Runic sewing kits

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Re: BOD reward list, what we want and what we don't...

Post by Calix »

Leading on from that, what do we want to reward crafters for doing, linked to behaviour and actual crafting?

We're against BODs because it's an anti-social system that makes no sense in the game world. Why encourage an occupation that you do on your own, making worthless items to hand into an NPC? There has to be SOMETHING better.

Probably the best idea so far was the one linked to crafting skill level = certain runic level. Probably way too convoluted to code though. The 'runics through harvesting' idea would be a lot easier to implement, but still doesn't make a great deal of sense..

I'm really struggling beyond that. Do we end up just with a greatly modified BOD system - something that would involve more player interaction. The whole system irritates me loads, but I can't see a realistic alternative that's not a massive mission to code.

Maybe Laz or Night or whoever could explain the entire process of getting BODs to me? From the viewpoint of someone that would be getting the top end rewards - the effort involved, time requirements, etc?

zole
ladyboycrush.com

Post by zole »

Sturdy pickaxe/shovel - just have more durability - Correct
Gargoyle pickage - These can be used to spawn an ore elemental. They used to be reallllllly strong and had decent loot. It also raises the level of ore. So if it's a verite vein, you will get valorite.
Prospectors tool - Like the garg pickaxe but without the chance to spawn an elemental. You can use both of these together to raise the level of veins by two levels.
[img]http://www.photobasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/deeaaaaaaad.jpg[/img]

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Maybe just remove the BOD system all together?

Quick run down.

You had to be seriously committed to BOD collecting to reap any kind of rewards. I did them daily and the best reward I had was a gold runic. All be it, I wasn't as hardcore as Barian and other blacksmiths.

Basically what used to happen, every 4-6 hours (maybe more, cant remember) hours, you went to a blacksmith and requested a bod. They would give you a random bod. The most common being a small BOD like 4xChainmail Coifs and the reward would be a sturdy pickaxe. Occasionally you would get an LBOD. You needed small bods to fill LBODs. The LBOD's rarity scaled like the SBODs, so iron LBODs were more common than Valorite LBODS. Obviously as you go up to Valorite, the chance of obtaining these BODs was virtually impossible (like less than 1%). Not only that, because there was so much different types of small bods you could get, the Valorite Hammer LBODs were virtually impossible to fill. As in, you could collect a BOD every day for a full year and still not get the BODs to fill a Valorite Hammer BOD.

This kept Val Hammers etc very rare. That was until a bug was found, and you could basically chain BODs for a while. You could also smelt BODs at one point which ruined the ignot market completely & also saturated the market with BOD mules because every and there dog could afford 2gp/ignots, meaning BS etc was ridiculously easy to train.

So I suggest removing them completely because it was a nice idea but very flawed system. Ironically it only really worked when the bug hit. If you improve crafting to the point it's a requirement to know and deal with them, your crafters would be delighted. There is also various other systems you could implement to keep them happy outside of BODs.

Very often the prizes from BODs would not be worth the time and effort of doing them. The BOD system would only work if the shard was thriving and had a good economy in terms of trades.

Hope that gives you a better idea.
No to U

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

One other thing, if you tie in the BOD rewards but not through BOD collections - with perhaps the Vanity items/the enhancement system (gems)/repair changes from the other thread - crafters will have more than enough to be happy with for now. If there is any kind of 'crafting' community, you'll then be able to consider additional systems at a later date?

If that makes any sense..
No to U

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Cheers Nix, that basically doubled my understanding of the whole thing.

...and yeah, plan was/is to remove the whole system, assuming we can find an adequate replacement.