'Fun' things from early UO that were gradually phased out.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Calix
MOTODEAMON

'Fun' things from early UO that were gradually phased out.

Post by Calix »

Obviously there's a few we can't use, the old house security system, etc.

What about others?

Corpse dismemberment is back in.

Monster>player provocation?

Monster gating?

There has to be loads I'm forgetting.

Night
fIlThY cUnT

Re: 'Fun' things from early UO that were gradually phased ou

Post by Night »

There was a time iirc you could disco players in pvp.

Also .. waaay back ... you could kill guards. It would be better imo if you could raid a town, kill all the guards then not have them return for a while thus making the town a bit dangerous for a while. Also, calling guards shouldn't be insta-death, they should come and assist and make the caller 'safe' (ish).

I still believe you should be able to recall and gate into dungeons, as originally intended. Way back if you were hunting and you saw a gate appear you could practically guarantee it was a group of PK's..this made it fun imo.

Death crates. If you were stupid enough to open one you deserved to die tbh.

Strong EV's and other magery summons.

Resisting Spells skill actually resisting spells :( (I know it's way too late for this now)

Finding a blacksmith at brit forge to do repairs.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Night wrote: Also .. waaay back ... you could kill guards.
Me Slamer and Morth(Belg too maybe?) did that in AOS! Lured one outside GZ and Ev'd it for 15 mins or so.

Recall into Dungeons = worst thing ever IMO.

Death crates would be a fun thing to get working again as before.

AOS resist change was der beste! Old system was too random and luck based. Seen it on UOSA.

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

I still believe you should be able to recall and gate into dungeons, as originally intended. Way back if you were hunting and you saw a gate appear you could practically guarantee it was a group of PK's..this made it fun imo.
This would suck imo. It was rubbish in UO:R from a PK perspective running around, only for someone to hit their recall macro the minute you appeared on screen (or precast). It discourages conflict. Groups of PK's are also less likely (imo) because there is no statloss, so not so much of a need for blue healers etc.
No to U

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Just FYI, it's possible to allow recall and gate in and not out, or vice versa. Or just allow gate and not recall. Or just allow gating one way...

Not that I'm convinced any of these are a good option, just saying in case someone wants to present an argument for why we should!

Night
fIlThY cUnT

Post by Night »

I agree recall out is bad .. particularly due to champ spawns. I would still support gating in though.

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Just FYI, it's possible to allow recall and gate in and not out, or vice versa. Or just allow gate and not recall. Or just allow gating one way...

Not that I'm convinced any of these are a good option, just saying in case someone wants to present an argument for why we should!
I actually had that in my original post as a compromise but deleted it because thinking back a lot of encounters I had in AOS were chance encounters running through the dungeons as opposed to fights at spawn points. Gating destroys those chance encounters.

I'm not denying that from a PvM perspective or from a PK perspective, the unknown blue gate was good but I think it is better without.

If you wanted a form of gate in the dungeon then I think an alternative option would be moonstones (UO:R?)...... Instead of Trammel/Felucca moonstones, have it so that when the moonstone is planted it takes you to a completely random place in the world. Element of risk for the PvM'er but also an alternative method to get out of level 5 Shame quickly. Maybe to far out the box though (or to hard to code)
No to U

Superfast Oz
Cardinal Chunder

Post by Superfast Oz »

Gating in just can't work in a champ spawn/harrower setup. It ruins any concept of defense.

Night
fIlThY cUnT

Post by Night »

Can we consider something to facilitate 'easier' entrance to some dungeon areas (not champ spawn areas other than already existing) then .. fixed gates or something ?

Running through some dungeons endlessly was a complete ballache and basically made them redundant. Also if you die in the depths of shame, covetous or hythloth it will be pointless even attempting to back for your corpse .. assuming you have to run out for a rez.

Fatalist
POO ELEMENTAL

Post by Fatalist »

I always kinda thought this was the point of risk vs reward in a roundabout way. The PvMer takes the long route to the bottom of the dungeon, and needs to come a long way out with loot, however the safety is that PKers will most likely not be bothered enough to go all the way down.

If we can think of a viable system sure, just remember that anything that makes it easy for PvMers to travel to the bottom makes it easier for PKers too (unless we make it a 'blues only' portal for example, which would be shit.)
Down with Scotland

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

We could perhaps code custom areas that are gate-able (no recall/sj) in some non champ dungeons. Shame and Hyth being the obvious examples.

I know what Night means, a lot of people aren't prepared to put the effort in to run it. If I had it my way recall/sj would be removed completely from the game, but I know that wouldn't be very popular! It's worth considering. Def no fixed gates or anything though, one of the worst features of IPY2. - MAYBE just allow gate to certain small areas in 2-3 dungeons.