Intro

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Medwin Lucrii

Intro

Post by Medwin Lucrii »

I responded to a reddit post about this shard, and realized my prejudice toward a P25 shard was ill-founded. Now my interest in this project is sparked. So I'm here poking around your forums. My lack of exposure and understanding of the game post UO:LBR is worth noting. I have limited knowledge of how things work in the Age of Shadows. Keep that in mind when reading my comments or questions, and please fill me in as needed. Thanks Clx for the dialog last night.

Most recently I've played some PRS, gamers/UO:SA/Angel Island. I was also an admin/GM on AI for a few years, most of my post OSI time was spent there. Currently, having not found a MMORPG to my liking, I've been putting a lot of hours into CS:S, TF2, and the CS:GO beta.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Re: Intro

Post by Calix »

I actually recognise your name/Richard D James avatar - from UOSA, I assume!

Glad to have you here. Any input very much appreciated and if you're interested in logging into the test shard, let me know. We've got an expert here in pretty much every area of UO post-AOS, so throw out any questions you may have. I'll try to write up a brief description of the major changes brought in with AOS if I get chance.

Fatalist
POO ELEMENTAL

Post by Fatalist »

Welcome dude, good to have a non-aos stalwart here who is open to rediscovering the game. I'm confident that once you get your head around the changes you'll be excited to get stuck in to all the options AoS presents. I'm sure you already have but have a read through some of our threads, you'll soon come to learn a lot, and also see that the people putting together this shard are only implementing ideas which offer the most authentic, balanced and fun experience.

Let us know if you have any questions, and feel free to spread the word!

(Ashikata from Reddit)
Down with Scotland

Superfast Oz
Cardinal Chunder

Post by Superfast Oz »

Hey, welcome to our forums. Hope you like our ideas.

Medwin Lucrii

Post by Medwin Lucrii »

Thanks for the welcomes. I'd be glad to help in anyway I can. The more I've been thinking about this project the more the UO Bug is starting to bite me again.

Calix, I would like to run around the test shard. A chance to toy around with AOS sounds good.

Template questions
  • 5x with peace/music
  • 5x with tracking/hide
Still good pks in AOS? Thinking about some tough choices I'm going to have to make with only two toons to pick.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Medwin Lucrii wrote:Thanks for the welcomes. I'd be glad to help in anyway I can. The more I've been thinking about this project the more the UO Bug is starting to bite me again.

Calix, I would like to run around the test shard. A chance to toy around with AOS sounds good.

Template questions
  • 5x with peace/music
  • 5x with tracking/hide
Still good pks in AOS? Thinking about some tough choices I'm going to have to make with only two toons to pick.
The UO bug is a scary thing.

A tracking/hide mage works great. I personally switched away from hide with AOS release, but a lot of people still used it succesfully. Tracking is as good as always.. you just obviously have to begin lowering it as you use your powerscrolls - you eventually end up with room only for 6 skills. I had a tracking/detect 7x GM PK that I used for IDOCs until I quit in 2005. Peace/music would work well in theory - not something I've ever tried. What I really love about this era is that so many templates were effective. The two best mages I played with in this era had very different templates but were equally successful.

Your options as a mage in AOS are insane:

Mage 5x(Resist/Med/Eval/Magery + wrestle/fence/mace/swords/archery) - with all of the weapon skill choices being equally effective, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

For the 6th skill, the most popular(and effective, IMO) choices were Poisoning(with swords/fence), Inscription(with wrestle) and Tactics(with archery/swords/fence/mace). Other options being anat, focus, alchemy, hiding, parrying, detect, chivalry.

On top of those - other options that involved greater compromise(7 skills rather than 6):

Magery/Eval/Med/Resist/Wepskill/Necro/SS. My template through the whole of p25. On Drachenfels I was almost the only necro (because everyone else favoured scrolled 6x chars rather than 7x's) With the 720 skill cap, I ran with 120 Macing, 115 Magery, 105 Necromancy, GM Eval/Med/SS/Resist. The extra 20 skill points came from using the Midnight Bracers http://www.uoguide.com/Midnight_Bracers (I had base 85 necro).

7x Stealth Mage: Still effective for PKing(although only if you had E-Mounts)

...and that's not including any of the templates that relied on certain items to fit all their skill choices in. Mostly involving weapons with the mage weapon property. http://www.uoguide.com/Mage_weapon

I'll PM you with access to the shard.