Chernobyl 20 yrs on

We've got a rune marked in your mum's bedroom.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Chernobyl 20 yrs on

Post by Calix »

Anyone else interested in this/effects it's still having across Europe?

It's the first news 'event' I can remember along with the Shuttle Blowing up, which was also 1986 I think?

Fucking insane to think we're considering building more nuclear plants in this country when you read a little bit about how fucked people are across an area around Chernobyl twice the size of Britain.

Draklon

Post by Draklon »

A photographer travelled into the Chernobyl dead zone and took loads of pictures; It's quite eery, seeing that completely abandoned area.

Pictures of her trip: http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

There was a few articles in the papers up here about it, pretty interesting stuff. I remember seeing some pretty horried pictures a few years ago from there.

There was some awsome scheme they run up here, when some families take some of the kids that were affected as babies by the accident for a month in summer, they reckon it adds about 2 years onto there age expentance.

I don't think you can really compare the two nuclear situations though, but I agree with you, that I'd rather not have these nuclear plants, I mean the problems with the one thats already up here is surely enough to give them the big v.
No to U

pain

Re: Chernobyl 20 yrs on

Post by pain »

Calix wrote: Fucking insane to think we're considering building more nuclear plants in this country when you read a little bit about how fucked people are across an area around Chernobyl twice the size of Britain.
:shock: Another chernobyl in western europe would kill 2-3 times as many.
whether long range weapon or suicide bomber wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction

Benn

Post by Benn »

Draklon wrote:A photographer travelled into the Chernobyl dead zone and took loads of pictures; It's quite eery, seeing that completely abandoned area.

Awesome. I saw this last year sometime and I've been meaning to look for the link again, thanks.

Calix wrote:Fucking insane to think we're considering building more nuclear plants in this country when you read a little bit about how fucked people are across an area around Chernobyl twice the size of Britain.
Thing is, nuclear power stations are honestly nowhere near as dangerous as people think. They're actually extremely safe, and the amount of mis-information that abounds is amazing.

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Benn wrote: Thing is, nuclear power stations are honestly nowhere near as dangerous as people think. They're actually extremely safe, and the amount of mis-information that abounds is amazing.
http://www.zetnet.co.uk/oigs/n-base/dounreay.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4272199.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2458637.stm - probably a better link to review from problems

Granted, the technology has moved on a lot since the 60's, and far more is known about it, but you only have to look at the potential problems to decide whether its really worth it, clearly the Government thinks it is.

I really wouldn't fancy living anywhere near one of these feckers.
No to U

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Draklon wrote:A photographer travelled into the Chernobyl dead zone and took loads of pictures; It's quite eery, seeing that completely abandoned area.

It's still an interesting website, but it's apparently all BS, and she's toned down quite a few of her more outlandish claims over time as that's been discovered.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

[quote="Benn
Thing is, nuclear power stations are honestly nowhere near as dangerous as people think. They're actually extremely safe, and the amount of mis-information that abounds is amazing.[/quote]

Far fetched but was reading something the other day about the effects of terrorists flying a plane or whatever into one of Britains current plants, not exactly a nice thought.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Re: Chernobyl 20 yrs on

Post by Calix »

pain wrote:

:shock: Another chernobyl in western europe would kill 2-3 times as many.
From what i've read the only reason Chernobyl didn't kill tens of thousands was due to the weather conditions in the days directly after the explosions.

Benn

Post by Benn »

Calix wrote:Far fetched but was reading something the other day about the effects of terrorists flying a plane or whatever into one of Britains current plants, not exactly a nice thought.
Actually again that's pretty much 100% scaremongering. The mechanisms that run the reactors basically mean if anything even looks like it might go wrong, big fuckoff rods get dropped into the reactor, and the reactions immediately stop dead.

The effects of a plane hitting a station would achieve little more than possibly a few deaths (it's a bloody plane hitting a building) and many millions of cash loss due to the shutdown and damage.

The thing people don't realise is what Chernobyl was. Just because it was NUCLULEARR!!11 honestly was not at all the reason that the catastrophe occured.

I'm struggling to come up with a decent comparison to explain the differences between Chernobyl and any other Station anywhere else; suffice to say they're only barely related, and information on Chernobyl doesn't apply elsewhere.

Ingo
Author of "Stripper Assassin"

Post by Ingo »

I watched a vid on it in A-level physics, there were basically a shitload of failsafes but the scientists overode them. A similar thing could have happened in a coal station, we just wouldn't have x-men.

pain

Post by pain »

We know 99.999% of nuclear power stations are safe, and very efficient sources of energy, better for the environment. If it can happen once though I don't understand how anyone can rule out the possibility of a repeat occurance, surely it's a matter of time.
whether long range weapon or suicide bomber wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

Chernobyl was caused by lack of maintenance, which in turn was the result of a Communist government that simply didn't generate enough money to pay for the maintenance of all state run enterprises (everything basically). People like to bash capitalism, but without capitalism a country could never be truly first world, as to make anything work a country needs money, you can't be completely self sufficient. Russia has had nucelar submarines rotting away in ports for years, that have reached the critical stage because they are about to start leaking radiation, and they can't afford to dispose of them properly.

Firstly nuclear power stations are not really a danger, and secondly the lack of alternatives means we have no choice but to build them. Renewable energy is wonderful in theory but the technology just isn't there to do it properly.

Stuff like wind turbines are wonderful ideas, but woefully inefficient. To generate the same amount of power as a nuclear station would take a landmass the size Kent, Sussex and Surrey combined completely blanketed in wind turbines. Not to mention they are a blight on the landscape, and worse yet they make a shocking amount of noise. We all have to hold out for fission, which may not be far away.
NEVER enter Felucca.
In time, Felucca will die AND evil will die with it

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

[quote="Benn]
Thing is, nuclear power stations are honestly nowhere near as dangerous as people think. They're actually extremely safe, and the amount of mis-information that abounds is amazing.[/quote]

the thing is so are all power stations, really just look at Buncefield

Snake Plissken

Post by Snake Plissken »

Small chance of a nuclear power station going pop and killing a few million people or global warming wipes out most of the planet... seems worth it to me.

...then again we could just stick a few more windmills up and recycle cans j/k