:O

We've got a rune marked in your mum's bedroom.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

:O

Post by Nixon »

PunkBuster FAQ

Q: Why are you going to integrate PunkBuster into the Ultima Online game service?
A: The number one complaint to customer service is about players using cheat programs. These programs can give unfair advantages in combat, automate various mining and crafting processes, and overall puts honest players at a serious disadvantage. By eliminating cheat programs, honest players will find Ultima Online to be much more fair and much more rewarding of hard work.

Q: What if I don't want to install PunkBuster on my computer?
A: We will provide at least one shard to play on that will not require PunkBuster. Non-PunkBuster servers will be barred from using the character transfer service. There also might be other rules in place to help enforce the rules of the game.

Q: Does it collect any personally identifiable information?
A: No. It doesn’t collect personal info and will never be used for that purpose. It merely checks to see if you have any illegal programs running in the background as you play Ultima Online. Here is a link to the PunkBuster privacy policy: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=privacy.php

Q: Will the UO TOS be updated?
A: Yes, it will. If we do decide to use PunkBuster service-wide, you’ll need to agree to the PunkBuster Software License Agreement before playing, as well as new Ultima Online Terms of Service. You can read both documents HERE.

Q: Will it have any impact on system performance?
A: There might be some performance impact, but it should not noticeable to the vast majority of players. The upcoming public beta test period will help us spot potential problems.

Q: What happens when PunkBuster thinks it has found an offending cheat?
A: The player will be kicked from the game and a petition will be filed. The player will be able to remove the cheat and try to login again in two minutes. GMs will make disciplinary decisions based on the history of the account and the type of cheat used.

Q: Will players who are flagged by PunkBuster be sent any specific information on why they were flagged (such as the name of the offending program)?
A: The message shown to the player will be something like the following...

You cannot access the Ultima Online service due to disallowed programs running on your computer. Please shut down these programs and log on again in 2 minutes - Violation (Joey’sCheatProgram) #59002.

Q: Will there be a method to dispute actions taken against an account caused by PunkBuster?
A: PunkBuster will be used to detect hacks and cheats. It can prevent your client from talking to an Ultima Online server, and can keep you from playing. It cannot take any action against your accounts. However, information about the use of cheat programs can be used to take action against your account by a GM. The decision to take an account action will remain the domain of our own gamemasters. PunkBuster will be a tool they will use to help enforce our Terms of Service.

Q: Will PunkBuster flag programs that could be used for other games, but aren't actively being used with Ultima Online?
A: It will detect running programs like this and will keep you from playing Ultima Online, even if these programs aren’t being used with Ultima Online. However, if one of these programs is installed, but isn't running at the same time you are playing Ultima Online, it will not prevent you from playing Ultima Online.

Q: Will PunkBuster collect screenshots of my computer?
A: PunkBuster will only take screenshots of the Ultima Online game screen itself.

Q: What if a player finds a new 3rd party hack, how can they let PunkBuster know so it gets detected in the future?
A: Please send any information on cheats and hacks via email to: research@evenbalance.com. Keep in mind that PunkBuster runs silent detection on some cheats, so "testing" a cheat is not a good idea. If you find a new cheat, please send an email and do nothing else with the cheat.

Q: Will Ultima Online players be able to use the PunkBuster Name Registry service?
A: There are no plans to do so right now.

Q: What if I have technical problems with PunkBuster?
A: PunkBuster will have a special webpage for Ultima Online players with information on common problems. Ultima Online players will have the same support through the PunkBuster.com website and can use the PunkBuster trouble ticket system to receive help.
No to U

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

Is this a joke?
NEVER enter Felucca.
In time, Felucca will die AND evil will die with it

Squall

Post by Squall »

i'm guessing that it doesn't like the always light hack or EUO?
Last edited by Squall on Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://members.boards.ie/zyphorion/Squall%20Anim.gif[/img]

"Balanced" - the ability to use potions when wielding a bow

pain

Post by pain »

What's dishonest about a bit of macroing.
whether long range weapon or suicide bomber wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

It's not a joke.

I'm not really too bothered about it, certainly in the last few years I haven't used EUO, bar training poison because I cba setting up a proper macro for it. There will be ways etc around PB but I'm not really risking it.

Huge outcry on boards, but mostly from clueless nobz
No to U

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

So I wouldn't be able to turn swampies into ostards anymore?~

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

Been doing some reading up on this, apparently it is easy to bypass for people who know what they're doing. So basically it won't eliminate cheaters but will lag everyone.
NEVER enter Felucca.
In time, Felucca will die AND evil will die with it

Kristoff
Kristoff/Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

1 <3 U0
[img]http://members.lycos.co.uk/ickristoff/Carnivax.jpg[/img]
** Carnivax - Playstation3** \ \[^ . ^]/ /

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

lol, didnt this get taken off most cs servers cause it sucks?

Superfast Oz
Cardinal Chunder

Post by Superfast Oz »

i think its a ploy by EA to finally cut ea numbers to justify ending the game

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Superfast Oz wrote:i think its a ploy by EA to finally cut ea numbers to justify ending the game
Obviously not a member of the EA board thats decided to pump money into the game then^^
No to U

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

lol nix