The "OMGoolies it's an election" Thread

We've got a rune marked in your mum's bedroom.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

Why the fuck would you want Scotland to be an independent nation, what possible advantage would it hold? Independence would only have negative effects.
NEVER enter Felucca.
In time, Felucca will die AND evil will die with it

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Villa wrote:Do you believe Scotland would do well as an independent nation ?
Would it be able to survive with it's own resources ?

A lot of the newer nations from the past 10 years or so have done rather badly.
Granted these were mainly former soviet republics who gained autonomy following the collapse of the USSR, and granted they had had decades worth of assets being stripped/taken by Russia, but none the less allmost every one of these new nations is struggling now that they have cut the umbilical cord from their mother nation.

Scotland is clearly no Estonia or Latvia or whatever, but do you still think ultimately Scotland would suceed as a stand alone nation ?
Well that question is always debated up here. While initially we could survive - admitly not for long on our dwindling oil supplies, we still have other industries that are on the increase here - whether or not that could support the country or not.

I would really have to see facts and figuires to really make a proper guess as to whether it would suceed, we already have a better education system in some respects than say England - your A Levels are better than ours, but GSCE worse and our further education system is much more supportive of even poor families - more english students are studying in Scotland than ever - I'm sure I read somewhere theres more English Students in Scotland than Scotland.

The probably of course with facts and figuires is underlying things which arent accounted for, such as the RAF. Would my town really be on the up had it not been for the RAF and all the english moving in? I don't think so - which would be a massive loss to the economy. The recent closure of one the RAF bases up here is expected to have an impact on the local economy - which is actually the worst in the whole of Scotland - though it is much cheaper to live here.

I think I'd have to look into it in more depth, but from what I've read which barely scratches the surface, yes I'm sure we could.
No to U

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Zim Zum wrote:Why the fuck would you want Scotland to be an independent nation, what possible advantage would it hold? Independence would only have negative effects.
Such as what?

We are already indepedant in many respects and do just fine.
No to U

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

The bulk of your welfare state is paid for by taxes raised in England.

The British Army would disband all of the Scottish based regiments.

The Royal Navy and Air Force would have to sell off their Scottish bases unless an agreement was reached to keep them.

Scotland's main form of trade is primary exports, with its own economy the pound there would become strong to the extent that importing would become prohibitively expensive for a country that suffers from rural poverty and low wages.

Would you also want to remain in the EU or withdraw from that too?

These are just a few economic reasons your country would suffer plucked from the top of my head, but there are plenty of social reasons too.

I'm not saying Scotland would be the loser in declaring independence, the rest of Britain would suffer too.
NEVER enter Felucca.

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Zim Zum wrote:The bulk of your welfare state is paid for by taxes raised in England.

The British Army would disband all of the Scottish based regiments.

The Royal Navy and Air Force would have to sell off their Scottish bases unless an agreement was reached to keep them.

Scotland's main form of trade is primary exports, with its own economy the pound there would become strong to the extent that importing would become prohibitively expensive for a country that suffers from rural poverty and low wages.

Would you also want to remain in the EU or withdraw from that too?

These are just a few economic reasons your country would suffer plucked from the top of my head, but there are plenty of social reasons too.
I don't think anyone would disagree that intially things would get worse before they improve(I agree with you on RAF). I think and would hope the difference between a country like us, say Estonia, would be we could rise above the decrease.

As far as I'm aware the SSP and SNP are pro European - though don't quote me on this, I'd have to find this out.

Also remember that the last two indepedance of scotland polls, were for, but were rejected, as was the tax control.

As it stands, I honestly don't feel we have the right politicians to control the country though
No to U

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

i hope u go independent so we can invade u. i can just see nixon standing in a field braveheart style

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Lady Redname wrote:i hope u go independent so we can invade u. i can just see nixon standing in a field braveheart style
I'd die for scotland but not britain, you got that right ^^

I watched Braveheart last night actually on Sky, ahah
No to U

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

yeah same lol

King Cyric
N3cr0 fr0m H3ll

Post by King Cyric »

Conzpi is immortalised in that film :(

Villa
Devon Knows

Post by Villa »

King Cyric wrote:Conzpi is immortalised in that film :(
Yeah, it wouldn't have quite the same effect if William Wallace was screaming "VOILEHG !"
Signatures broken since 2009...

Villa
Devon Knows

Post by Villa »

Also, I had completely forgotten about the military aspects.
A VERY large part of Britain's infantry (i.e. the Army's skilless dexxers) are from Scotland (The rest are generally northerners anyway, thus living upto the stereotype that northerners are all barbarians anyway^).
We have many many bases in Scotland.
Our submarines mainly operate out of bases such as Faslane, which is also home to our nuclear deterent subs (The Vanguard class subs).

In fact, so much of our military assets are tied up in Scotland, that both countries would suffer financially and economically if Scotland declared independence.
Signatures broken since 2009...

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Villa wrote:Also, I had completely forgotten about the military aspects.
A VERY large part of Britain's infantry (i.e. the Army's skilless dexxers) are from Scotland (The rest are generally northerners anyway, thus living upto the stereotype that northerners are all barbarians anyway^).
We have many many bases in Scotland.
Our submarines mainly operate out of bases such as Faslane, which is also home to our nuclear deterent subs (The Vengence class subs).

In fact, so much of our military assets are tied up in Scotland, that both countries would suffer financially and economically if Scotland declared independence.
Indeed, and who would you send in as cannon fodder? :)

We've taken almost three times as much casualities in wars than other forces in Britain. :/

I guess in some respects, Scotland needs the UK and the UK needs us
No to U

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

[quote="Villa"]
Our submarines mainly operate out of bases such as Faslane, which is also home to our nuclear deterent subs (The Vanguard class subs).
quote]

Indeed, all 3 of them.
NEVER enter Felucca.

King Cyric
N3cr0 fr0m H3ll

Post by King Cyric »

Scotland have taken more casualties because the english shoot them all on the sly, dress up as iraqies and wtfpwn you.

Kristoff
Kristoff/Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

im from in and around Faslane :( barbarian irl
[img]http://members.lycos.co.uk/ickristoff/Carnivax.jpg[/img]
** Carnivax - Playstation3** \ \[^ . ^]/ /