Ultima Mobile

We've got a rune marked in your mum's bedroom.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Ultima Mobile

Post by Nixon »

I have started work or at least the concepts behind my honours project. Part of my project is to design and implement a mobile phone game.

I've thought roughly about a few possible things, when I started thinking about UO on the train home, and how I could perhaps take some of the ideas (more specfically the sprites) and put them into some kind of game suited to the mobile phone.

Naturally the game will be a single player and relatively simple bearing in mind its a phone based game.

Interface
First off the interface I have currently drawn out is simple. Along the base of the screen there is very basic information.

Red = Health
Blue = Mana
Green = Dex
Purple = Pots/Bandages info where necessary

Basically, at the start the user will decide to play either a mage or dexer.

If they choose dexer they can only use swords, and when they are fighting monsters only dex and health points can possibly increase. Theres no see saw or anything, just a max level you can train too.

And a mage will gain health and mana.

There will also be a skill type system in place, but you cannot alter them in any way, simply raise them by fighting and gaining experience (you won't actually see the xp gain, just skill gain). The skill gain you see will go up in tens as well, up to a maximum of grandmaster.

World

This is the biggest challenge I will have, the system that UO uses to move around is actually ideal with the isometric type layout, I do plan to adopt this.

I want the world to feel as big as possible without being huge, I'm pretty restricted at the moment, but theres a few areas I'm planning on adding with a similar setup that already exists in the form of servers. I plan on having several different 'worlds' to try and minimise the amount of space it will take.

The areas I plan on having are

- Newbish type land where you can train to Adept level.
- Shop where you can sell old weapons and buy supplies (aka small town)
- Dungeon 1 where you can train to Master level.
- Dungeon 2 where you can train to Grandmaster level.
- Overland area similar to newbie land but aimed at people in between Adept and Grandmaster.

Looting System

The looting system will be simple. Better the monster you kill, better the 'items' you get. The items I'm considering are the old Vanq/Power system with gold/supplies. There is only a certain % to get the item of course, it add's a damage modifier to your current weapon.

So basically, even at Grandmaster it will be extremely difficult to complete the final quest without the best weapons or items.

Since mages will need items similar, a HoM type hat (SDI only) is similar to a vanq.

Shop

You will only be able to hold a certain amount of items, but unlimited gold, so you will have to sell all your old or weapons not required in return for gold.

Things like potions will come at a high cost, so gold will serve a purpose.

Quests

I plan on adding various quests throughout the game which are tied to the two dungeons to give purpose to hunting, with the final quest being extremely difficult to complete - which is the overall objective.

Controls

Dexer wise, it's not going to be a major problem. Mage wise I'm unsure of partly due to spells - for a start spells will be severely limited, thinking Greater Heal/Ebolt/Light/Flamestrike.

There is still a lot to consider for me, but what do you think game wise? If the idea sounds really shit I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board, but I'm still in my concept stage, and don't fully start this till september so tons of time yet.[/b]
No to U

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

sounds like fun

or you could just cheat, use noxins oxymoron game and convert it to phone ^^

and wasant their once talk of a uo phone game, mayby even came out in azn land

Kristoff
Kristoff/Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

[img]http://members.lycos.co.uk/ickristoff/Carnivax.jpg[/img]
** Carnivax - Playstation3** \ \[^ . ^]/ /