Berlin

We've got a rune marked in your mum's bedroom.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Berlin

Post by Calix »

I'm 100% going this time..

Any advice on where to stay/anything else?

I know Fatal and Slamer have both been recently, and hopefully some of our Drachenfellian aquaintances still read here?

Mortharr

Post by Mortharr »

SCHNELL

Villa
Devon Knows

Post by Villa »

Auschwitz.
Signatures broken since 2009...

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

Going by tiger or panther?
NEVER enter Felucca.
In time, Felucca will die AND evil will die with it

Fatalist
POO ELEMENTAL

Post by Fatalist »

Couldn't help you on where to stay as I was in a hostel.

I'd advise looking for a hotel based on the west side of the city and ideally near the s-bahn 'ring' line, will make getting around a doddle. We found that there were better attractions on the west side, but that was minor and things are quite easy to get to.

There are a million world war II museums so you won't have trouble finding some decent ones. You must visit the topography of terror at checkpoint charlie though (and all the little attractions and things around checkpoint in general).

Brandenburg gate is quality. The zoo is quite nice if you're into that kinda thing, don't bother with the indoor/aquatic bit though unless you love looking at standard tanks or spiders and bugs. The reichstag is a complete letdown, takes ages to get in (maybe not so long at this time of year) and you dont actually get to walk around it, just go up to the balcony/glass dome where there's hardly anything of interest except a few articles and a nice view.

I would go up the TV tower (forget its name) if you have time, we didn't manage to make it because of the queues but apparently it's worth it, it's at alexanderplatz, which is like the main place for shopping etc too. If you don't pass it on any of your journeys go to hauptbahnhof station, it's absolutely huge and worth seeing just to get lost in it, it's bigger than all the shoppin arcades in cardiff combined I reckon.

Lake wannsee is quite cool if you get a nice day. and Tiergarten is definitely worth a visit, again if you can find a nice day.

The one thing I would say definitely don't miss is near Tiergarten s-bahn station. There's some crazy flea market, it's pretty huge and full of really bizzare things. For example there was one section that was devoted to brass door handles, thousands of different types, just along from it was a cutlery stand, and these are quite common actually. The real reason you will want to go there is to have a look at some genuine war memoribilia, there's loads of medals, coins, postcards, letters, figurines, all kinds of things I think you would like.
Down with Scotland

Benn

Post by Benn »

Du bist ein Berliner?

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

you will love it

make sure you take the new berlin free tour and the others they do as well (third reich and redberlin, i didnt do the concentration camp one) they are awsome

im not really sure about laces to stay since i spent most of my time in a 32 bed dorm and im sure you dont want that

there is loads of museums, make sure you make it to the east side gallery and find my i-c tag (its on the CV wall that has all the years on it)

I had the DDR museum recomended to me but never actually made it in, make sure you go under the holocaust memorial to the museum there (free entry)

And remember that unfortunatly you have to go back to England as well, i kind of forgot..

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Cheers bestz, what I really meant about where to stay is what area, seen a couple of reasonable priced hotels near Tiergarten

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

Tiergarten is fine, anywhere in the east side really since that is where all the intresting things are, i stayed in Mitte for a bit but it was kind of run down

I barely stepped foot in west Berlin the entire time i was there

Benn

Post by Benn »

Lady Redname wrote:Tiergarten is fine
Dunno, sounds like a bit of a zoo to me

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

amazingly the zoo is no where near the animal garden :(