GB Football team

We've got a rune marked in your mum's bedroom.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

Calix wrote:You probably want to watch it:/
Ronaldo passed the ball from memory?

Maybe Crabbit passed it to Ronaldo first, I don't remember that bit. It was a really nicely worked goal though.
NEVER enter Felucca.
In time, Felucca will die AND evil will die with it

Winder
VIKING BOAT MUSEUM

Post by Winder »

was a shot from around 20 yards. against a 2nd rate team from equador :(
[img]http://www.uded.net/uo/Windar/catsig2.gif[/img]

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

so basically

calix i mean callick i mean um carrick wins best footballer ever.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

wtf? You're a nob. Not exactly a revelation I know, but I think it needs restating:/

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

ok an actual real analysis; (because i fear carix is getting annoyed at me, and didnt appreciate the carix to carrick joke)

I believe carrick decreases the tempo of the game and hurts the cut and thrust of both england and man utd. i feel alot safer when we play a utd with carrick in the side, because he lacks any kind of physical presense, i feel his positioning is suspect on counter attacks where as the holding style player he gets caught with the ball behind him too often. his distribution, while occasionally excellent, is often sideways and non incisive.

Chances created per game
Francesc Fabregas 3.50
Steven Gerrard 3.06
Mikel Arteta 2.54
David Bentley 2.43
Ryan Giggs 2.35

Passes per game
Francesc Fabregas 72.44
Paul Scholes 66.33
Frank Lampard 57.42
Mathieu Flamini 57.00
Javier Mascherano 53.72

Assists
Fabregas 17
Young 14
Barry 10
Kalou 10
Rooney 10
Bentley 9
Berbatov 9
Elano 9
Nani 9
Shorey 9

Total passes and passing accuracy
Fabregas 2318 81.06%
Clichy 1975 83.19%
Flamini 1710 86.55%
Gerrard 1652 77.66%
Butt 1630 75.03%
Scholes 1592 89.70%
Carrick 1585 83.22%
Hleb 1552 82.73%
Ferdinand 1546 84.80%
Neville 1533 72.47%

These stats show carrick with the 7th most PL passes, but not even on the assists or chances created tables. Indicating his high % of passes completed are non insisive "so called" safe balls.

Carrick has no outstanding physical qualiites (pace, strength), rarely scores, is a poor tackler, not great in the air for his size, can only play in one position and cost £18 Million. Claiming he's easily the match of many other Prem teams' playmakers' is a misleading one because all the other deep- lying playmakers in the Prem are defensive ones (Alonso, Barry, Mascherano, Mikel) who do the same job as Carrick and prevent goalscoring oppurtunities due to their defensive qualities.

Meanwhile Carrick is trying to be Pirlo by playing the offensive playmaker in front of the centre halves, passing the ball sideways with the odd Hollywood ball now and again. Carrick is one of those players who looks great on the stat sheets (see the above pass completion %) with the huge pass total he accumulates during a game, but unfortunately the problem with stats is that they can't record the intangibles such as ' the right pass for the right situation' and the effectiveness of a pass (judged generally by assist stats? where people like gerrard/lampard/alonso et al excel.

THIS is why i dont rate carrick :) happyier now carix?

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

Gerrard's assists are normally much more, but the lack of Torres this season has severely reduced them. Kuyt and Keane just aren't lead men, hence the redced effectiveness of through balls.
NEVER enter Felucca.

Angus

Post by Angus »

I rate him, when he's playing constantly.

Same way Ledley King would be a good centre half, if he had the chances to acquire the playing time.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/lazzaro306/WoodySig1.jpg[/img]
[url=http://gamingheroes.proboards42.com/index.cgi/]4tw Clan Forums[/url]

King Cyric
N3cr0 fr0m H3ll

Post by King Cyric »

these stats are bullshit, steed malbranque is the assist leader this year. fakt.
Jack (Bauer) and Jill went up the hill. Only Jack came down. Jill was a fucking terrorist.

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

Argentina
NEVER enter Felucca.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Mikel

He looked great against Everton tonight

lolz

Outstanding physical attributes? What bullshit. Neither did/do Paul Scholes or Roy Keane, they still dominated the league for a decade.

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

they are last seasons full opta stats.

scholes was an amc, different position, didnt have defensive responsibilities, if he did his tackle would have ended some careers.

roy keane, now, for you to say keane had no outstanding physical attributes?! strength and power were two of his major major assets, as well as his well renowned up and down engine. if they arent physical attributes i dont know what is.

i never said mikel was one of the leading dmc's in the PL. i said he was an example of a deep lying player who actually did more than pass the ball sideways.

as for the everton game, mikel played CB for 10 minutes after terry was sent off, then played dmc for 45, with 10 men, not conceeding away from home in the PL. (albeit everton have no strikeforce) he broke up attacks as his primary job, won key headers, played out of position, and threw all that, played simple sideways passes. which is all carrick does.

i maybe an ardent chelsea fan, but i still recognise the ability of scholes and keane, as excellent influential and important footballers. i also see anderson and hargreaves as two guys who both play better than carrick when they are fit, and even fergie doesnt use carrick 100% when he is fit, unlike for example, cesc, fattyfrank, gerrard, keane in his pomp, all these players play week in week out, and there managers have them inked in. carrick is just one of the pencilled in club.

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Pedro Mendes > all those no hopers tbh

Angus

Post by Angus »

God your such a little fanboy Nix.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/lazzaro306/WoodySig1.jpg[/img]
[url=http://gamingheroes.proboards42.com/index.cgi/]4tw Clan Forums[/url]

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Mercury wrote:threw all that, played simple sideways passes. which is all carrick does.
Even if you had a valid point through all of that, the above sentance just proves you haven't a clue. Carrick plays as many through/match winning passes as Scholes did in his prime. He isn't similar to Scholes in any other way of course, but his passing really is as good.

You won't find a single United fan(people that actually watch the games as opposed to looking at stats and reading match reports) that would pick Hargreaves or Anderson(both quality players as well) above him.

The stuff about automatic selection is bs as well, check his appearances over the last two years when he's not injured. Not to mention that his competion includes two players with over 100 England caps between them, and a future Brazil international..

Edit: Actually the only stat i'd pay attention to is: United sign Carrick, win the league after 3 year gap, during which time he is basically ever present.

Winder
VIKING BOAT MUSEUM

Post by Winder »

anderson has tons of potential compared to carrick imo. but carrick is good but i wont rate him as one of the best.
[img]http://www.uded.net/uo/Windar/catsig2.gif[/img]