made me lol

We've got a rune marked in your mum's bedroom.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Evidently!

Villa
Devon Knows

Post by Villa »

I would be wary of recruiting people who are self-confessed MMO gamers.
They may have a tendency to come in late, or not turn up at all due to late night Harrowers etc

I would be neutral in regards to organising events in MMOs. There are both pros and cons to this.
Signatures broken since 2009...

Sonez

Post by Sonez »

Nixon wrote:
Sonez wrote:I think the real question is that who is so far removed from reality that they think playing World of Warcraft makes them more desirable to employ? Not that it's necessarily a bad thing but how is it relevant?
How does half the bs people say in relation to hobbies have any relevance to jobs they apply for though? Most the time people say what the employers want to hear rather than what is necessarily true.
I think the difference would be in referring to it specifically. For example you might say, 'In my spare time I enjoy online gaming' as opposed to 'I play World of Warcraft', or 'I enjoy listening to music' as opposed to 'I like drum and bass, happy hardcore and acid house'. I think if you're going beyond a generality in hobbies (which is probably the last section an employer considers as it is) it's implied you're doing it for a reason. When you name something specifically, you go beyond the nature of the hobby and affiliate yourself with a certain standard within it; like naming the team you support instead of just saying you're a football fan. The Warcraft example would insinuate to me that the specific reference to it is somehow intended to imply that it is part of a different mode to other online games, which I personally view as a fallacy - allowing perhaps the fact that it's by far the most pervasive online game in pop culture. Then again this is just my own interpretation and I'm probably being a bit picky and maybe a bit over-analytical, but I wouldn't be particularly impressed to find any of the examples I've listed on an application form.

Belgarion
FISSURE OF WOE

Post by Belgarion »

Ingo wrote:I wouldn't hire someone who's people management skills were from being captain of a football team either! I think the only acceptable non industry example I would take would be military (not CoH!)
I dunno about that.
Maybe its because i know exactly what was involved in it, but i would be more interested in mentioning my being a golf coach than my being a squad leader in the army.
The one set within "normal" social frames requires and suggests actual people management skills that might translate to a normal job.
Managerial positions in the army (at least the kind i had) do not necessarily require skills that would be usable outside the army.

I seem to recall instructions along the lines of: "Get the job done, just dont leave bruises" :/
I-Cers about my joining I-C:
Clx: "risk", "what? dont", "I`ll object"
Future: "fucked up"
Villa: "dirty and unclean"
senj: "guildhopper"

Noxin
BENEFIT CHEAT

Post by Noxin »

Extensive online gaming knowledge and experience is actually a good thing on my CV, but then given any job I actually apply for would be revolving around online gaming, that's like saying I like DIY when applying to work at B&Q
YOUR GAMES ARE THE GAYIST THING EVER ACRCADEN CRUSADE WAS EPIC FAIL AND SO WAS ANY THING U MADE WITH A P THE REST WAS JUST FLAT OUT GAY U DONT DESERVE LIFE NO U DONT DESERVE ANYTHING U ARE JUST A GAY MORON WHO NEEDS TO GET A LIFE

Benn

Post by Benn »

Belgarion wrote:I seem to recall instructions along the lines of: "Get the job done, just dont leave bruises" :/
Wasn't that one marital advice?

Ingo
Author of "Stripper Assassin"

Post by Ingo »

It maybe slightly useful in a graduate CV as you wont have much work experience but in anything outside of the one liners for "hobbies and interests" I think it would look a bit desperate.

Angus

Post by Angus »

It really depends,

I forget his name, although I just read this chap at Blizzard was voted one of (perhaps THE) most influential individual in video gaming at the moment and he was hired by Blizzard due to his reputation as a Guild Leader in Everquest.

As Nox says, it definitly works, but if your hiring for a run of the mil programming job then why would that interest you.. "Oh great he plays WoW, he'll be great for us making the new Call of Duty Game", it just dosent fit in.

I can see both sides of the argument, however, despite being an avid gamer and fan of the MMO universe (even if it is dull atm) im gonna say dont put it on your CV, hell, ive got 2 levels to go on CoD5 veteran, thats a fucking BASTARD of a game and a hell of an achievement once you complete it (serioulsy, go try it, you'll cry blood) - Can i put that on my CV? Or how about that time i made a bitching Roller Coaster in Roller Coaster Tycoon 2? Perhaps ill get a job in Disney! Or finally, anyone remember that guy who applied for the Boro job and his experiene was FOOTBALL MANAGER?

It made me laugh, but was he serious? I hope not.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/lazzaro306/WoodySig1.jpg[/img]
[url=http://gamingheroes.proboards42.com/index.cgi/]4tw Clan Forums[/url]

Villa
Devon Knows

Post by Villa »

Angus wrote:Or finally, anyone remember that guy who applied for the Boro job and his experiene was FOOTBALL MANAGER?

It made me laugh, but was he serious? I hope not.
Aston Villa hired Dr Venglos to manage them based on his 2nd hand knowledge of the game - he hadn't even watched an English match before, but his CV looked good (LOL I read many book about great england man league).
And some of us know only too well what happened next -
he took over Aston Villa, making him the first manager born outside Britain or Ireland to take charge of a top division club in England. He left after one season after they finished just two places above the First Division relegation zone.
I understand he was paid a wheel barrow full of potatoes a week (Quite an extravagance compared to his fellow peasents in Czechoslovakia or however the fuck you spell it).
After that, Villa decided to spend proper money on a proper manager and hired Big Ron and it all went well for many years thereafter.

Dr Venglos of course fucked it all up again at Celtic a few years later (Again I think they hired him cos on his CV he put LOL I managed BEST midlands team yes)
Signatures broken since 2009...

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Stephan Gross beste
Grassh0ppers 4 lyf

Angus

Post by Angus »

Didnt he win the league with Celtic?

I dont remember if im honest, not got time to check, working at 7am, lamez

Winder
VIKING BOAT MUSEUM

Post by Winder »

åge hareide
[img]http://www.uded.net/uo/Windar/catsig2.gif[/img]

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Angus wrote:Didnt he win the league with Celtic?

I dont remember if im honest, not got time to check, working at 7am, lamez
No he didn't.......they owned us 5-1 that season at Parkhead, but we won the league and Scottish cup.

Angus

Post by Angus »

I stand corrected.

Was that one of the 9 in a row?

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Angus wrote:I stand corrected.

Was that one of the 9 in a row?
Nope, Wim Jansen was the manager of Celtic the season before, and he stopped us getting 10 in a row....before stepping down cause he didn't like Jock Brown...lolz.