made me lol

We've got a rune marked in your mum's bedroom.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

made me lol

Post by Mercury »

Fatalist
POO ELEMENTAL

Post by Fatalist »

my mate was telling me recently how he was applying for a team leader position at his place and on his application he gave WoW guild leadership as an example of leadership skills/experience.

he didn't get the job.
Down with Scotland

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

if i was a manager looking for someone who was going to fit into a team and i saw 'wow player' they would get binned no matter what else their cv said.

Just because they think its something to be proud of.

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Can see both sides of the arguement to be honest. I don't see why it shouldn't be used as an example of leadership skills etc. If people can use sports teams, why not online games where you have to use similar skills/man mangement etc? Essentially its discrimination, especially in Slamers example.

That said I wouldn't put WoW on my CV.

Benn

Post by Benn »

Nixon wrote:its discrimination
lol

I'd question someone's judgement if they put WoW as an example of management and people skills.

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

its like iv made 100,000$~ playing poker but id never put it on my CV, too many people dont understand it. very similar to wow;

OMGZ GAMBLERZ
OMGZ MAD GAMER 24/7

Padaxus
Berkshire chainsaw massacre

Post by Padaxus »

easy being a leader behind a PC screen, in reality a lot of "leaders" in wow are probably too shy to say boo to a goose!
[img]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/AlieBarnes/Korea1.jpg[/img]

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

I don't see how it can be discrimination. The only job a professed heavy interest in WoW sets you up for is Chinese gold farmer. And if you're not Chinese you can forget that too.
NEVER enter Felucca.
In time, Felucca will die AND evil will die with it

Sonez

Post by Sonez »

I think the real question is that who is so far removed from reality that they think playing World of Warcraft makes them more desirable to employ? Not that it's necessarily a bad thing but how is it relevant?

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Sonez wrote:I think the real question is that who is so far removed from reality that they think playing World of Warcraft makes them more desirable to employ? Not that it's necessarily a bad thing but how is it relevant?
How does half the bs people say in relation to hobbies have any relevance to jobs they apply for though? Most the time people say what the employers want to hear rather than what is necessarily true.

Ingo
Author of "Stripper Assassin"

Post by Ingo »

I wouldn't hire someone who's people management skills were from being captain of a football team either! I think the only acceptable non industry example I would take would be military (not CoH!)

zole
ladyboycrush.com

Post by zole »

If you read the article thing, the point is that they think a wow player spends too much time playing wow.

Which to be fair, is probably correct. Although you could say "don't send me any smokers, they will die more quickly".

In terms of management skills etc, tbh it does take some skill. But yeah sadly those skills don't always convert into rl.
[img]http://www.photobasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/deeaaaaaaad.jpg[/img]

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

personally i do mention sport on my cv, but only breifly, if they do bring it up in interview, it becomes about the time iv worked with kids (LOLZ KIDS TOUCHING BOIS) and coaching badges iv earnt, even thou iv captained to a very sucessful level @ cricket, i would only give this a breif mention.

in terms of "captain of the football team" employers understand sport, as it is commonplace so can relate to captain. however they cant relate to, wow, poker, extreme sports? those kinda hobbies.

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Shame you spell like Slamer's even-more-retarded brother

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

its an internet forum, i dont even look @ what i type most the time