What do i do next?

We've got a rune marked in your mum's bedroom.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

What do i do next?

Post by Lady Redname »

Right then

Its decision time and i dont have a clue which one to make, so i turn to you guys and the knowledge of the internets in hope that i can be pointed in a direction (not really the right direction, i know which that one is and im not gonna do it)

It is time for me to leave Rome, despite the fact i just got a pay rise and am living in a great hostel, the city is to small for me and all my freinds have left plus i am getting a bit bored and have a serious case of itchy feet.

These are my options:

1). (the smart option) Go home, go back to Leicester, pay of my credit card and save some money, get a real job... blah blah blah - this isnt going to happen, there is no way i am moving back in with my parents for any longer then a couple of weeks and i dont want a real job.

2). Stay in Rome. This would actually work, but i really am done with the city now and it's time to move on

3). Go fuck the life out of a girl i know in Paris. (i am doing this for a week regardless of long term plans) Live with her and try and get a job in Paris - however she leaves in September and i really dont feel like getting into anything to serious. - this plan also relies on us not getting sick of each other after 2 weeks - so also unlikely

4). London. i am waiting to hear back but i belive i have a job waiting for me in London, this also seems like a good plan and may well be the most preferable plan in the long term. However London just happens to be in England, which is really offputting (although you guys could come stay with me lots i guess)

5). Barcelona. I met a few people when i was over there, i am quite confident i could land a job within 2 or 3 days of being there in a bar or on one of the pub crawls and then look for something with acommadation after that

6). Any other city in Europe - fuck it, ive done it once and i can do it again. i only had 100 euro when i moved to Rome and i survived

7). Thailand -> Cambodia -> Vietnam -> Laos -> Malaysia -> Australia

This is the plan i want to do. This is also the plan i am doing at some point (was going to wait until early october when i made this plan last year). however, i found a flight to bangkok for 19 euro's at the end of June, or in mid July (will likely take this one) for 99 euro's. This is very cheap and if i go in october these flights will cost me 600 euro. Combined with the fact i want to leave Rome, come back home for a few weeks to see freinds and family and then fuck off again this is perfect

However. i currently have 300 euro saved, will be paid another 800 at the end of this month and can sell my car for about 500. that only gives me 1600 euro, which is just enough to live off in Thailand for a couple of months and make it to Melbourne (where i will have to find a job quickly - acommodation is not really a problem i dont think)

i would be getting a 24 month working visa as well (100 euro) so if i did this plan i would be gone for a year minimum

The downside to all these plans is the £3500 sitting on my credit card i have no way to pay off, the fact that 1600 euro really isnt enough to go half way around the world on (and i have to live a month in England on that money, which is going to hurt as well as buy quite a bit for such a long trip - at the most id be taking about £1000 cash) and with the distance involved it would be nice to have backup cash for when i run into complications - which im sure i will

Which is why i can't decide what to do, i want to do the Thailand plan, its just the more i think about it the more it seems like a bad idea (i could always get jobs along the way, and i need to talk to a freind about a job in Kuala Lumpa + a house to live in on her island)

Part of me really wants to say fuck it and just get on the plane for Thailand and worry about it when i get there. Ill be fine. If need be i can get to Melbourne or Sydney early and crash at a freinds place. Or just find random odd jobs around Thailand, if you are willing to do anything for any money then there is plenty of jobs anywhere i have found

then the other part is telling me there probably wont be any harm in delaying for 6 months (i feel that if i leave it any longer then that i will probably never go)

So then - any advice? i have so many options, all are just as dumb as each other. Which is what makes it such a tough decision

tl;dr: Pick a number and tell me how to fuck up my life more. options 1-6 involve me using my brain a little, option 7 involves selling myself as a ladyboy on the streets of bangkok for 10 baht a pop (i know which way Villa will vote)

Also i know this is a lot to ask, but serious answers please since i am really stuck

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

If you've got the option of a job in London, take it, save your money, do the Thailand/Australia thing once you're bored of London, sorted financially and can enjoy it properly. It might be shit coming 'home' but living in London in your own place = a lot different to going back to Leicester

Barcelona and Paris are so close you can go there any time for as long as you need/want..

I can understand the Rome thing though, City is a bit of a shithole and sounds like you've done as much as you can do there.

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

Don't forget it's practically the summer and London gets half decent weather. England isn't as depressing when the sun is out.

Alternative is to declare yourself bamrupt and write off your debt, then in 24months when you are back from Australia you will already be freed from bakruptcy.
NEVER enter Felucca.
In time, Felucca will die AND evil will die with it

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

i dont think £3500 is enough debt to do something so drastic

its not a huge figure. i just dont have any income that can scratch it currently, i need to wait to hear from my mate if the London option is going to be availaible or not, should know in the next week or 2

Benn

Post by Benn »

I concur. 4 then 7.

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Isn't London ridiculously expensive? Wouldn't you have a hard time living/enjoying life + saving money for Thailand? Personally I'd see moving back to England as a backward step in your travels (though perhaps necessary?)

Maybe take it easy on the booze for a wee while in Rome, get another few hundred ££ together then do the whole Thailand thing?

You'll love Thailand anyway, you'll be treated like a king. Just don't do stupid shit like fuck with drugs while your out there, really not worth it.

£3500 is not a lot of debt all things considered, I suspose only you'll know where you can cut back on things, get extra funds from etc.

Angus

Post by Angus »

Yeah im with Nixon - i thought London was a money sink?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/lazzaro306/WoodySig1.jpg[/img]
[url=http://gamingheroes.proboards42.com/index.cgi/]4tw Clan Forums[/url]

Calix
MOTODEAMON

Post by Calix »

Yeah but so are all his other options except going back to living with parents. London is expensive but he'll also earn better money than anywhere else.

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

Only thing that's expensive is accomodation, everything else can be had pretty cheap in the right places, even in central areas.
NEVER enter Felucca.
In time, Felucca will die AND evil will die with it

Nixon
AFRIKA KORPS

Post by Nixon »

Calix wrote:Yeah but so are all his other options except going back to living with parents. London is expensive but he'll also earn better money than anywhere else.
Earning more maybe....but surely not in jobs Slamer would probably be going for? I dunno I have no idea how/what jobs are down that way.

In terms of making the most money the quickest, living with the parents would be the best option. Sure you'll hate it, but you'll also get back out on the road quicker.

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

The London job would include free acommodation, but i dont know about the pay yet. a freind of mine is investing in a hostel franchise so it would be similar to what im doing in Rome really, just in a new city, he should find out in the next few days if he is getting it or not

I also see going back to England as a step back nix, but it does seem like the smartest option in the long term, i could allways stay in Rome for 3 more months but im getting quite bored now all my mates are leaving

although i did get a bonus today for us hitting 85%

i also know that the debt isnt that much, which is why im not to concerned and if i could mayby just half it then worry about the rest later, its not going anywhere though and is only costing me money so paying a bit off would be smart (and it would help with my aussie visa if i had access to cash, where right now all my cards are maxxed)

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

1stly...fair play for doing what you did in rome on 100 euros

2nd...3.5k is nothing "really" in terms of what students have in loans etcetc

3rdly...your a long time married/kids etc, i know that now already at 24 with a 2 year old, a career, a mortgage ETC. you sound like the last thing you want to do is come back to the uk. i like how you talk about 7 and hence i believe thats probably what you want to do, you made it happen in rome on peanuts, do it again!

ps. why no NZ? my best mate did the world 6 month trip, and NZ was where he had the best time and is the place (bar vegas) he insists he will go back to again and again

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

NZ would be included before i left aus, just as a city to set up in Melbourne seems like the best bet

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

yeh my best mate from uni played cricket for the winter one season in melbourne one in sydney, (as well as travelling to other aus cities), he reckons melbourne is the best place for a 20-25 year old to live hands down.

Villa
Devon Knows

Post by Villa »

Zim Zum wrote:Only thing that's expensive is accomodation, everything else can be had pretty cheap in the right places, even in central areas.
This.
I think it's a myth that London is 'expensive'.
Everything costs the same here as it does in the rest of the country, with the notable exception of property.
Well, maybe public transport too, but I avoid it.

Also, I suggest Slamer goes to far off places now while he has the time and/or opportunity as he may never get the chance again later in life.
Signatures broken since 2009...