Starcraft 2

We've got a rune marked in your mum's bedroom.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Starcraft 2

Post by Zim Zum »

Apart from Benn and Senji in I-C, is anyone else playing this? I can't help but feel that the multiplayer is going to be a little bit too hardcore to allow casual play, I really don't have the desire to play it a lot to the level it probably requires. There also seem to be way too many units now, seems a bit confusing knowing what to build.

I'm enjoying the single player a lot though, there's something surreal about playing a game whose storyline started 15 years with a 10 year gap in the middle. I've done the 4 protoss sub-missions but I don't really get the whole hybrid thing, who is supposed to have made them and how did they take over the Zerg? At one point they said the Xel naga.

More importantly, who is better, an immortal or a colosuss? Both seem pretty badass but the damage absorbing capability of the immortal is awesome.
NEVER enter Felucca.
In time, Felucca will die AND evil will die with it

Toki
Drive-by Reskiller

Re: Starcraft 2

Post by Toki »

The match making in starcraft 2 multiplayer is really good so depending on how well you do you will get assigned a league of players your own level, so dont expect to constantly get raped by super koreans.

As for the hybrids I think they are created by the same chaps that made the Zerg/Protoss? is that the Xel Naga or are they those religious fanatic guys? :iiam:

The two units you mentioned as far as I know are effective against different unit types, a colussus is more suited at killing lots of light infantry where as an Immortal with its magic shield is good at taking down hard hitting units like siege tanks. Benn is probably better suited at answering Protoss related stuff as I have only played terran/zerg.
[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/6rpqma.jpg[/IMG]

Benn

Post by Benn »

Immortal owns tanks (and stuff with big single shots) and gets fucked by fast attacking stuff like marines.

Colossus murders large numbers of light armour units (zerglings, marines, hydras) and gets destroyed by tanks, immortals, and air units.

Neither are better, they're just different.

Benn

Post by Benn »

Oh and I'm not very good and I've barely played since beta, senji is much better than me.

As Toki says the matchmaking is pretty cool so don't worry about it, just play gamezzzzz

Villa
Devon Knows

Post by Villa »

Does it have space marines and stuffz?
Signatures broken since 2009...

senji

Post by senji »

Granted I haven't played since the beta, but I doubt they changed the match making drastically. So don't be discouraged, go ahead and play the multiplayer. You'll play against people who are at or bit above/below your skill level, making it quite good for casual play.

Also like Benn said about the units, neither is better, they're just different.

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

im gold ranked 1v1 with terran, i concur with the above, the matchmaking system makes it a doodle wether your a newb or a prosupernerdkenakorean to find a reasonable matchup. In around 500 1v1s iv had maybe all of 10 battles where iv thought, hmm we shouldnt be playing each other.

Benn

Post by Benn »

senji tell me how to play zerg I'm really bad at it

senji

Post by senji »

Uh, I don't know really as I didn't get that far into it. But for me at least zerg was all about the macro, making lots of probes early on, expanding early if possible to get a good economy going so you can out produce the other dude. Also remember to larva inject!

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm nearly finished I think with the Campaign and then I'll jump into the MP. I've always been a fan of protoss so will probably give them a try.
NEVER enter Felucca.
In time, Felucca will die AND evil will die with it

Benn

Post by Benn »

Zim did you end up playing at all?

Benn

Post by Benn »

Well I played a bunch of games last night, and it turns out I'm terrible at Zerg. It's a bit strange, as I was reasonably competent as Protoss ('plat' in beta (before copper was removed)), but my Zerg play just sucks. Mostly I suspect because I'm worrying about more/different things, I personally find protoss/terran much more straightforward, and keeping up with injects is pretty hard to do without missing them now and again!

Oh well, the only way is up, I'm just going to force myself to stick to Z and get better! :mrgreen:

Benn

Post by Benn »

...or I could just 6 pool / 3 rax / 2 gate every game~

senji

Post by senji »

I thought 4 gate was the new 2 gate.

Also I find zerg to be the complete opposite, the unit production is much more simple since everything comes from one building/larvae, with terran and protoss you need to manage all these different production buildings (out side of warp gates for protoss I guess). Also don't worry too much about missing larva injects, just remember to do it every time you check your base and build an extra hatchery or two at your main base and natural if you build up a lot of energy on your queens.

Toki
Drive-by Reskiller

Post by Toki »

Dont think too much into league placement in beta either, I got put into gold twice in the beta and I was a terrible terrible Terran. You know your shit dont let a few games in ladder put you off and never finish on a loss!
[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/6rpqma.jpg[/IMG]