Isnt darkfall meant to be out now ?

We've got a rune marked in your mum's bedroom.

Moderators: Benn, Calix, senji

Poom_of_PALADIN

Isnt darkfall meant to be out now ?

Post by Poom_of_PALADIN »

Any news on this ?

Benn

Post by Benn »

lol

senji

Post by senji »

Release date is on the 22nd, we're all holding our breath.

I think atleast 2-3 of us have taken time off work to just play for a few weeks.

Poom_of_PALADIN

Post by Poom_of_PALADIN »

senji wrote:Release date is on the 22nd, we're all holding our breath.

I think atleast 2-3 of us have taken time off work to just play for a few weeks.
I see,

The marketing for this game is quite fantastic
.. it is 0.. Even on the front page i can't find out when it is coming out,

and no one knows about it at all except ultima gays like us , I hope people do play it though

Angus

Post by Angus »

It actually makes me happy.

Surely if the people who do the marketing are this shit a graduate of marketing (ake me) will be hired npnp
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/lazzaro306/WoodySig1.jpg[/img]
[url=http://gamingheroes.proboards42.com/index.cgi/]4tw Clan Forums[/url]

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

i believe they are taking a EVE approach, no adverts no marketing, little public communication, start small, and build a base whilst ironing out the flaws/bugs

Angus

Post by Angus »

Talking of MMOs.

See UO has a new king? No more Lord Brit.

@ Merc - I guess thats ok if you do ONE server..but, well I dunno if Darkfall will.

Zim Zum
DAS PROBLEM

Post by Zim Zum »

Mercury wrote:i believe they are taking a EVE approach, no adverts no marketing, little public communication, start small, and build a base whilst ironing out the flaws/bugs
What fantastic business sense.
NEVER enter Felucca.
In time, Felucca will die AND evil will die with it

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

um.

look how the hyped up AOC and WAR have done, floped because they werent the real deal.

the money in mmos is long term subs. so yeh actually is good buisness sence :?

Villa
Devon Knows

Post by Villa »

We know that the community has been speculating and wondering about the Darkfall release for some time. We haven’t replied until now because there were several complex issues to plan and work out. We also needed to get authorization before we could proceed with this official announcement:

Starting on January 22nd there will be a Darkfall trial with the distribution of the release candidate client allowing thousands of players to sample the game for free, help us stress test our servers and test the final features of the game.

It’s important to understand that there are well over 200 thousand applications by players wanting to get into Darkfall. This number makes it unrealistic to distribute the client and to open up our servers to everyone. We’ll try to accommodate as many players as are possible for us to manage at this stage. Even so, the demand exceeds our current capacity. Interest in Darkfall has surpassed all our expectations to the point that we may need to manage our release differently.

The date of the Darkfall European commercial release has been pushed back to February 25th, 2009. A pre-order will be made available mid-February. The pre-orders will get priority for early access to the game. The pre-orders will also get priority for the game launch if we have to go to a staged release. We’ll go to a staged release only in the case we have more demand than we can handle properly, and until we can upgrade our capacity. The pre-orders are necessary so that we can have some measure of the demand.

The reasons for the new release date follow:

At this stage, everything is connected: Hundreds of elements need to come together. When one thing falls behind, everything else tends to follow.
Demand for Darkfall at launch could be much higher than expected. If this is the case, we need a different process to better handle the demand.
Darkfall’s partners (distribution, billing, account management, support, etc.) entered into the game at a late date and we needed more time than expected to integrate properly.
We fell behind on a couple of weeks of beta testing progress and we need to make this time up. We need more playtesting data on several features we haven’t had much chance to test externally.
We’ll use this extra time to implement updates based on tester feedback and also make some enhancements we were saving for after release.
We want as many players as possible in the game before the launch and we haven’t had the chance to stress test our servers with live players yet.
We underestimated the effect the holidays would have on our preparations. While we worked through them, the world around us seemed to stop.
We don’t want to rush things more than needed. An extra month may not seem like a lot of time, but it’s enough to allow us to take care of any compounded delays.

Our hope for Darkfall is to have a good game with a tight player base that we can nurture and steadily build up. Hype surrounding Darkfall is huge right now, despite our best efforts. We’re not sure how this will translate on launch day but we have to make allowances for the possibility that demand could be more than we anticipate.

Announcements will follow with more information on Darkfall pricing, pre-ordering information, North American player access, and system specifications.

The Darkfall Team
Cunts.
Signatures broken since 2009...

Angus

Post by Angus »

lol Merc - stfu.

It's not good business sense at all, no one is speaking about AoC/WAR type advertising, but perhaps magazine articles? Online interviews (ala Gamespot). Something to show people the game exists, the biggest complaint about UO before we left, par the shit patches, was the fact they did NOTHING to bring in new players, you cant even buy the game in stores. (disregard online). The only way to hear about the game is word of mouth, and with UO "its not as good now as it was" thats off putting, Darkfall "its being in production forever, not much information or credability to it thus far", thats also off putting.

*shrug* - Everyone has their own opinions, but you dont need to be WoW to be an MMO hit, check out LoTRO. (Perhaps it has to do with a fan base, but I dunno, they knew their market and targetted it).

Dosent mean im right, but thats my opinion

Mercury
[Trial, I-C]

Post by Mercury »

everyone has there rightto an opinion;

$30 for a game+1month playtime (standard)

30$ is like 3 month subs.

im sure theyd rather have 1/2 the players playing for 1 year (30+12x10/2 = 75), than the full quota for 2/3 months (30+1free+2x10 = 50$)

so yeh id rather have 50,000 players for a year than 100,000 and flop. There are also a few articles on the gaming sites, im not defending there total lack of professionalism towards there fanbase, but there approach to niche/non marketed mmo, isnt new and isnt a bad tack imo.

Benn

Post by Benn »

Mercury wrote:um.

look how the hyped up AOC and WAR have done, floped because they werent the real deal.
Because they were shit, not because they were marketed.

Angus

Post by Angus »

But!

The 50,000 that you would rather have playing would surely still play? And the 50,000 that didnt stay on, well at least Darkfall would have the 50,000 x $30.

Subscribers is important, we all know that. I bought WAR (as I think you did Merc?) and we didnt keep playing, not because it was badly marketed but just because it didnt intrest us, but im sure Mythic were glad to at least sell a copy, at least now we know about the game and if anything new or ground breaking was brought into the game we'd consider it. PLUS, and in my opinion this is key, they have our details now, email address wise. They can keep in contact with us about WAR. Expansions, Patches, Events - We'll be in the loop and maybe on 1/10 will bite and renew their membership, but thats better than 0

Lady Redname
WAR ME HOMO

Post by Lady Redname »

lol @ release date

also: i see adverts for eve everywhere

also: if there really is over 200,000 people expected to play at launch and they dont think there servers can handle it then advertising to get more players is mayby a bad idea

also: im freezing and should really stop sitting on reception and go and get dressed